Sunday, October 4, 2015

Quit Your Day Job




For those of us who shop or have shops on Etsy, we've all seen Etsy's aspirational "Quit Your Day Job" slogan from their blog. As of this week, I have officially done just that and can focus solely on my shops and my new social media sites. I have the plan outlined for the next couple of years, and during that time I hope to add more of my designs (particularly jewelry!) that I've never had time to bring to my shops as well as to share more and better information on my sites and blogs. I can't wait to get started, so I won't! Of course the Novapsis shop is still the primary focus for the moment to get plenty of products ready for the holidays. As far as social media goes, I think the best part will be having all week to work on posts/pins/updates rather than trying to cram everything into Sundays. It will be interesting to see how much I'll really stick to my outlined plan, but I have to start somewhere even if I wind up making drastic changes as I go.

The weird part now is going to be missing my old job. Since my vacations have always been devoted to working on my businesses rather than actually taking a break, I'm hoping that this coming week feels like a vacation, and I'm not missing my job. Last week was so awful saying goodbye to people I've known for nearly 17 years, and I'm the worst at keeping in touch with people. It's just an overwhelming feeling of loss at the moment.

What I didn't expect was to be so comfortable and confident with the go-forward plan. I figured I'd be trying to fight back some fear about now, but it seems like I've got plenty of time to accomplish everything. It didn't hurt that I've been inundated with orders all week either -ha! It's pretty much just as I'd hoped it would feel; I'm in charge, and who better than me to make it happen? There's going to be a lot of work and of lot of excitement ahead, but I'm more than ready!